Tuesday, August 13, 2013

2,800 Plus Miles Later Part 2

Welcome to Texas where you're told when you cannot bring your gun into establishments like restaurants and movie theaters.  It's just common sense everywhere else. 
 There's a second part to this mostly because Texas itself deserves a second party considering the size of that state.  It took us pretty much half a day to drive through the entire state.  From the moment we set foot in Orange, Texas to get to a Wells Fargo Bank to the moment we left El Paso, Texas.  It was probably the most non-scenic drive ever and that's saying a lot having driven through Kansas. 

Ribs from Pizzitola's BBQ
 Upon arrival of Texas, I really wanted to do two things: (1) eat some Texas BBQ and (2) shoot guns.  Apparently, it's the easiest state to do both, especially in the city of Houston.  Unfortunately, we were only able to do one of the two due to time constraints.  After a quick late lunch in Houston at Pizzitola's BBQ, we were on our way to San Antonio.  Pizzitola had great ribs and that BBQ sauce was to die for.  Stephen bought two bottles and didn't want to share one with me.  As Stephanie Tanner would say: "How rude!"



San Antonio was pretty chill.  I'm actually glad we changed the plans as the original plan was to spend the night partying up in Austin.  I think what really happened was that I realized I was 30 and that the last time I was in Austin, it was just messy night in and night out.  The Alamo was pretty and historical.  Although, I'm still not quite sure what the Alamo was significant for.  Like I kind of know, but I don't really know.  Trust me, I read up on all the signs and even read Wikipedia on my way over.  Next up was the San Antonio River Walk.  There's an actual river walk!  I was wondering how many drunks fall in per year.  I'm sure there's a census out there somewhere.  Drinks were had at the Esquire Tavern.  I would recommend the Milan Julep even though it's more indigenous to New Orleans.  The La Pueblita was okay too.  I actually think any cocktail with crushed ice is okay in my book.  

The next morning, we were on a 12 hour driving trip to Scottsdale, AZ.  I happened to really enjoy my time in San Antonio, but boy was it rough getting out of Texas.  Although, in the suburbs of San Antonio, you can get an estate starting the the $500's.  Here in LA, you can get a 2BR apartment in DTLA if you're lucky or a studio in Manhattan.  So as it turns out the rest of Texas on the I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso had nothing.  I mean nothing...It was all rocks, and mountains, and yellow, and dirt.  I think the only thing I got excited about was when we went from central to mountain time and we saved an hour.  Well that, and I got really excited about the Mexican border.  You can see Juarez from El Paso.  I valued my life too much to even considered hopping over for an hour.  Not even for cheap Tequila.

El Paso felt like Mexico.  I figured since it felt like it, there has to be amazing Mexican food.  Yelp can be so handy sometimes.  I found this place called L & J Cafe.  Don't be fooled by the name, it is supposed to be the best Mexican food in El Paso.  That says a lot.  This place had amazing food and the people looked like they were straight out of what you would imagine a Mexican drug lord to look like.  The cowboy hats, the boots, the plaid shirt, the stache.  It was scary and exciting all at the same time.  To be fair, when you're Asian and going cross-country in the deep south, it's always scary and exciting at the same time.

Well, that's it for Texas, the last leg of the trip will need to be continued...   

No comments:

Post a Comment