Monday, December 9, 2013

All I Want for Christmas (Is You)


I'm not Christian, but boy do I love Christmas.  There's something in the air that's crazy and calming at the same time.  I mean, people kill other people to buy toys for people.  Insane right?  I also love "Love Actually" and I watch that every year.  I love everything about it, the turtlenecks, the cheesy love stories, the Joni Mitchell, Hugh Grant, their rendition of "All I want for Christmas (Is You)."  I love holiday music, love it, love it, love it. 

I put my tree up the other day and organized my DVDs based on the decade of the movie came out.  I have a lot of 80's romcoms.  I didn't really do it because I necessarily wanted to, but mostly because I had boxes still that needed to be unpacked and it seems like it would be much easier to do that than other boxes.  I unpacked the same fake tree from Target that I used last year and unpacked all my ornaments.  I can't believe how many I had.  I guess you just accumulate more as each holiday passes. 

I'm not even really sure how my love for Christmas began.  Growing up, we never had a tree, we didn't exactly do presents, and my favorite type of present was still cash.  I'm not even really sure I still care about the present aspect of it.  I find white elephant to be an awful torture method.  It's like who can choose the least worst gift.  I shot that down this year at my office.  I did not want to waste money on buying shit for people.  If anything, I would like to just bring all the crap I've chosen over the years and just give them away for free.  Just saying...

I love the food aspect of it though.  It's like the one time of the year where you are eating out multiple meals a week because someone is hosting a holiday party of some form.  Better them than me.  I could barely host a two person dinner without feeling overwhelmed and overworked. 

I also love the holiday movies on Lifetime and the Hallmark Channel.  They get me all the time.  In fact, I saw two in a row the other night when there was the first one with Ashanti (remember her) and Jordin Sparks followed by another one with a fat Nicole Eggert.  How do you get from Baywatch to that is just beyond me. 

Finally, I love going home for the holidays where you do get a Christmas feel.  It just never feels like Christmas in LA.  I don't care if people here think 59 degrees is cold! :p

No comments:

Post a Comment